Thursday, June 21, 2007

Dhammapada 1:3-4

3 "He abused me, mistreated me, defeated me, robbed me."
Harboring such thoughts keeps hatred alive.
4 "He abused me, mistreated me, defeated me, robbed me."
Releasing such thoughts banishes hatred for all time.


On the surface this may seem like a turn the other cheek sort of message. Instead lets look at it as more of an understanding of self.

If we can release the "me" then nothing that is done to "me" can do any harm. Once we can understand this, we can be freed from hatred. As long as they do not exist then thoughts of abuse,mistreatment or robbing have no place to be harbored. Releasing "me" or "I" is extremely difficult and will require practice.

As we go on with the Dhammapada we will come across the method to release "me" or "I".

No comments: